Tuesday, April 17, 2012

His Mercies are New Every Morning!

I was listening to Christian apologist, Ravi Zacharias, while he was sharing a poem by an unknown author. 

A New Sheet, A New Day
He came to my desk with a quivering lip,
the lesson was done.
“Have you a new sheet for me, dear teacher?
I’ve spoiled this one.”
I took his sheet, all soiled and blotted
and gave him a new one all unspotted.
And into his tired heart I cried,
“Do better now, my child.”

I came to the throne with a trembling heart;
the day was done.
“Have you a new day for me, dear Master?
I’ve spoiled this one.”
He took my day, all soiled and blotted
and gave me a new one all unspotted.
And into my tired heart he cried,
“Do better now, my child.”

Lamentations 3:22-23
My mind keeps reflecting on [my affliction] and I become depressed.  This is what comes to mind and therefore I have hope:  Because of the Lord's gracious love we are not consumed, since His compassions never end.  They are new every morning - great is Your faithfulness!


I love this poem because it reminds me of my favorite verses from Lamentations.  Matt and I are still adopting and this season continues to be very difficult (spiritually and mentally).  My mind often fixates on the challenges and I become impatient and depressed.  But my God's compassion NEVER fails.  Just as the King David describes in Psalms 30: 5:  Weeping may lodge for the night, but shouts of joy come in the morning!  His mercies are new every morning... I get a new day!

If you've cried yourself to sleep, I pray you've experienced God's mercy in the morning... that assurance He gives you that it's a new day, and He has not left your side! 

Poem Reference:  Author anonymous, “A New Leaf,” James G. Lawson, compiler, The Best Loved Religious Poems (Grand Rapids: Fleming H. Revell, 1961).

No comments:

Post a Comment